Monday, August 19, 2013

Musings on Peace

I was reading Exodus the other day and a verse slapped me in the face like a cold fish, and it's been marinating ever since.  

Exodus 14:14

"For Moses said to the people, 'Do not be afraid.  Stand still and see the salvation of The Lord which He will perform for you today.  For the Egyptians you see today, you will see no more forever.  For God will fight for you, and you will hold your peace."

That phrase "hold your peace."  What an amazing statement.  So often we hear a statement like, "hold your peace" and immediately think "be quiet" or "zip your lip". In fact, other translations use phrases like "keep quiet." But I think the NKJV really hits the nail on the head with "hold your peace."  In the middle of a near regional catastrophe. God says to the Israelites, "hold you peace". You can also imagine Him saying, "be quiet."  The Israelites were pretty bad grumblers.  But "HOLD" your peace brings a completely different perspective on it.  I think it would help us to view peace as something to hold on to. It's easy to think of peace as something to let rest over us. But blankets that rest are easily blown off. How often in my life have I quickly let go of peace. How often have I thrown peace off in exchange for anger. Peace is something to be held, something to be clung to. "Hold your peace"

No comments:

Post a Comment